Friday, October 14, 2011

Gap kids knock offs

A while back my husband and I were looking through Gap kids looking for clothes for our older son. Mostly because we had a gift card. Now, I love me some Gap kids clothes, but our kids are WAY too hard on their clothes to justify paying their prices. Anyway, they had an adorable line of Super Hero clothes, including beat up jeans with Super hero logos and what not. I decided to take a pair of jeans that already had a hole in them and try my hand at a copy-cat pair.

This is the pair I was using as inspiration 


This is what I started with.


I ironed some fabric I had on hand onto the shiny side freezer paper and cut it down to the size of a regular piece of paper. I then found a retro image of Super Man on Google images and printed it straight onto the fabric.

I cut the piece of fabric down to size and sewed it into the hole in the jeans. Not gonna lie.... that was the hardest part. I think they are skinny jeans so they barely fit over my sewing machine, let alone did I have space to move it around to sew all the  way around the patch. But, with some finagling and persistence.... I finally got it!

I used some of the Tulip fabric paint markers for some of the other embellishments on this project. LOVE these things!


After I got the patch in place, I added a little POW and Superman's famous quote "More powerful than a locomotive"



I also added a little Superman emblem on the opposite leg.

My little super hero modeling

Totally had to bribe him with chocolate to get him to do this for me!


Update: There was a question about weather or not the ink from the printer would hold up after a wash and the answer is yes! I just got them out of the dryer and Super Man is unaltered! 

I am pretty pleased with how they turned out. I am only nervous about the fact that I realized too late that I had not pre-washed the patch fabric. Yikes! I hope they hold up after a washing or two!

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could iron onto fabric that way! Add this to my Pinterest to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... this is too much... I LOOOOOVE how this turned out!!!

    Seriously, we need to get L & L together and act like we're all going to hang out but then you and me can sneak off and be crafty together... and that's crafty in the "arts and crafts" sense, not any in other weird way that that possibly could have been taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So here's my question: will the ink from the printer not wash out?

    ReplyDelete